Friday, April 22, 2016

A Year of Portraits

I've been working as a full-time graphic designer for almost five years now. I love my job and the company that I work for, but I think I've found myself in a creative rut.

I spend most of my time looking at a computer screen, problem solving, and satisfying the customer. It's all good work, but I never thought it would come to a point where I just don't draw for fun anymore. "Adulting" took over, and all I do during my spare time is chores or watch Netflix with the hubbers. When was the last time I got paint on my clothes or charcoal on my face? Too long.

As of last Friday, I decided that enough is enough. I'm going to quit wishing I could make art and start creating for the sheer joy of it.



Where do I start? How am I going to get out of the mundane and stay out? In the past, Google has answered many of my questions, so I started there. One click led to another, and I found another artist who was dealing with a similar struggle. She decided she was going to start doing something creative everyday for a year and share it with others. I was so inspired by her work that I decided to do the same thing! I'm going to do something creative every day for a year.

Read more about the artist who inspired me here: crystalmoody.com

I've decided that I'm going to make portraits. If I'm going to do something everyday, then it's going to be something I will not easily get tired of. I've been drawing/painting portraits for as long as I can remember. People fascinate me. The more distinct features a person has, the better. I love the challenge of capturing their essence and telling their story. People are beautiful.



This is definitely going to be a challenge, but I have a few rules and boundaries for myself to make the process easier. I will elaborate on those in future blog posts. For now, I wish to share this project with you for accountability's sake and communal support. Your comments and encouraging words not only help build my confidence but also affirm my small contribution to the beauty of this world.






A special "Thank you!" to those of you who were my models this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment