Monday, May 2, 2016

Week 2: A Year of Portraits

This past week was a struggle, and it was only week two!

I had to remind myself that it's OK if I miss a day or two of drawing. If I draw just so I can say I drew that day, then I'm missing the point.

So what is the point? What is so important about daily creative habits?


"Only now I'm learning to enjoy not being in charge of what 
the next stroke will do to the whole painting. 
I'm still learning that there are no mistakes only discoveries."
- Fernando Araujo

I grew so much as an artist and as a person when I was in art school. My teachers introduced me to techniques and mediums that I had never tried or used before. They also pushed me out of my comfort zone, and challenged me to do things I never thought I could do. Did I become Michelangelo after four years of schooling? No. But my journey towards the Sistine Chapel had begun.

 

Learning and growing did not stop when I graduated. My creative cloud has so much potential for expansion, but it's the daily stretching and practicing that will take me to heights I've never been to. Not everything I do will be a masterpiece, and some things will be terrible. But sometimes it takes a lot of bad ideas to find the best idea.


So here's the point: Daily creative habits are not important. They are essential to my artistic growth. And though I might miss a day, I will continue challenging myself every day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment