Friday, June 3, 2016

The Selfie



Most people think of the "selfie" as a social media phenomenon, but I like to think of it as the modern day self-portrait. Like a self-portrait, a selfie is a form of self-representation and self-expression. Every selfie says, "This picture should tell you something about who I am." Ok, maybe not every selfie, but regardless of context, judgments are being made (to like or not like?) about the individual's portrayal of his or herself.




Over the last several weeks of drawing portraits, I have spent hours "studying selfies". When I draw, I spend more time looking at what I'm drawing and not the actual drawing. Everyone has different noses, different hair styles, different cheek bones and jaw lines. I have to get all of those details just right otherwise that individual will not look like himself/herself.




It's amazing to me what assumptions can be drawn from the details of a person's appearance. Everything from country of origin, social class, to lifestyle can be communicated through clothing choices, tattoos, or facial features. But is it really possible to communicate personal identity and history through appearance?




I listened to an excellent TED talk last week by a fellow ACU alumnae, Victoria 'Sun' Esparza. The timing could not have been more perfect! Her struggle with appearance and personal identity is the exact same thing I'm trying to wrap my mind around. 


If you're interested to hear what she had to say, click here:


So what does your selfie say about you? What do people see when look at you? Who do you see? These are questions that challenge each of us, but I believe they are questions worth exploring. 


No comments:

Post a Comment